The Fiber Optic Project: Complete

The project was completed about mid-January. I have no way of knowing if it has been “lit” yet since our phone service has not been affected.

I am impressed with the professionalism the contractor showed. I hope they got adequately compensated for all the extra effort this took! Road Gulch Road is actually in better shape than before the project since some embankments were cut back, improving driver visibility on some curves, not to mention a wider north shoulder.

The entire project was almost 6 miles in length with an elevation drop of 600 feet.

This is the little building where all the phone lines in our neighborhood are terminated; I usually refer to it as the “phone booth”. I once asked a phone worker if I could look inside but he refused. 😦

The fiberoptic line is junctioned in the new terminal box in the right foreground. The county road the cable follows is in the middleground behind the far phone terminal box and the stop sign. The cable goes left along the other side of the road.

When they began, a horizontal boring machine inserted fiberoptic duct under the county road but not all the way to the phone booth. Another hole was later dug across the road and the duct cut off (It extended out into the pasture on the other side of the fence.). The cable was shoved into it after a backhoe trenched from the road to the new junction box then the fiberoptic cable was manually pulled through the duct under the road, laid in the trench, and buried.

I have some scenes from the project but not in any order due to my being “under the weather” this year.

For part of the project, they had to bring The Hammer up from the lower part of the project.

This was just before New Years. I asked if they were gonna finish the project before the end of the year and the “road guard” laughed they would be lucky to finish this part by then! It appeared they used The Hammer while still on the trailer so the pavement would not be damaged. It left its mark along the road.

This is where they stopped for 2011. This is not very far down the hill.

For 2012, they added this tool: a larger backhoe for where the dozers can’t go.

They did restore driveways that they plowed.

Those dozers must have been right against this fence as they passed by!

This is at the cattle guard. The dozers are done and are waiting for a ride home.

This is just above the end and I never did figure out why these were laying on the hill. They later disappeared and no junction box appeared here.

Now that it is done, driving this way is kinda boring again!

More Water Project

While I was laying awake last night, I decided to put the greensand column back on the block. It was just too unstable on dirt. So, with some backtracking, I did.

The block is now against those for the salt tank. There are some rocks here which is why I had put it nearer the wall. Instead of lowering the block, I built up the foundation and leveled it.

Then I had to roll the column back up onto the block! This ended up being a two stage process using pieces of 2×4 to set it on then rolling it onto the concrete block. Without moving the block!

So now I am back where I was yesterday! Lol.